Classic Greek Pita
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon dry, unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely minced red bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons egg substitute
1 cup (4-ounce package) crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup cucumber, thinly sliced and chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
4 pita breads
1. Make the dressing by first dissolving the gelatin in the water. Heat the mixture in the microwave on high for two minutes or until it begins to rapidly boil. Add the vinegar, then whisk while adding the oil. Add bell pepper, salt, garlic powder, worcestershire, black pepper, parsley, oregano, thyme and basil. Let dressing cool for about 15 minutes before adding cheeses and egg substitute. Whisk until slightly thicker, then chill. Overnight refrigeration makes the dressing thicker.
2. Make the Greek topping for the sandwiches by combining the crumbled feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, and red onion in a small bowl.
3. Prepare the salad by combining the romaine lettuce, red cabbage and shredded carrot in a large bowl and toss.
4. Prepare the sandwiches by first microwaving each pita for 20 seconds.
5. Fold each pita in half like a taco, then add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the romaine salad into the bread.
6. Add 1/2 to 1/3 cup of the greek topping to each sandwich.
7. Pour about a tablespoon of dressing over each sandwich and serve.